Modification of Child Custody or Support


When problems arise with the custody arrangement set forth in the initial Court Order, one or both parties may seek a change in child custody, visitation, or support. In Alabama, these issues may be addressed at any time after the initial Order is put into place.




A party seeking to change a custody, visitation, or support order must first show that there has been a material change in circumstances that warrants the proposed change. For example, if the party seeking the change is currently paying child support set forth in a previous order but that party has lost their job and does not have the income sufficient to continue paying the same amount of child support, they will probably be able to show a sufficient change in circumstances to warrant the modification. However, that party should attempt to obtain employment as soon as possible and at a pay rate as high as possible. If the court determines that the party is at fault for losing their job, or if they are not putting forth maximum effort to secure new employment, the court could impute income to that party.

Likewise, if the party who receives the child support from the other party finds out that the party paying the child support has gotten a substantial raise in pay, they can seek an upward modification in child support.




When the Court looks at the circumstances surrounding an initial custody determination, the Best Interest of the child or children must be considered. However, when a party attempts to modify that original Order, the Court considers an even higher standard. The Court must consider first whether the proposed change in custody is in the child’s best interest. If the Court determines that the proposed change is in the child’s best interest, the Court must then decide whether the change in custody is good enough for the child to outweigh the bad that comes from uprooting the child from their current situation.

If you are in a situation where you believe that a modification of child support or custody is in order, call me for a free consultation and I will help you decide if you have the necessary grounds for that modification. Call me at  205-759-1949 today!

Contact Us




We serve the following localities: Centreville, Bibb County, Greensboro, Moundville, Hale County, Adamsville, Bessemer, Birmingham, Gardendale, Jefferson County, Aliceville, Carrollton, Gordo, Pickens County, Pelham, Shelby County, Northport, Tuscaloosa, and Tuscaloosa County.


601 Greensboro Avenue, Ste 200

Tuscaloosa, AL 35401



Phone  (205) 759-1949

No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.


The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


  • YouTube
  • Facebook Long Shadow

©  by Braxsim Computer Technologies